Following the resignation of Helen Gorham, a “Notice of vacancy in office of Parish Councillor” has been issued. Applications are now open to those wishing to be co-opted. A co-opted member would then complete the remaining term in office. The next scheduled election for Ash Parish is on Thursday 4 May 2023.
Ash Parish Council (APC) have said; “Anyone wishing to be considered for the post, should send their CV with full details including examples of involvement in community projects and details of the experience you would bring to Ash Parish Council. ” Also that “all applications must be received by 12 noon on 5 January 2023. Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org .”
Can I become a councillor?
To qualify for election and to be a councillor, an applicant must be:
- a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
- a citizen of any other member state of the European Union
- 18 years of age by the day of nomination or election (the ‘relevant day’)
They must also be one of the following:
- on the relevant day and afterwards, are on the electoral register for the parish
- for 12 months before that day, they have owned or tenanted land or premises in the parish
- for 12 months before that day, their main or only place of work has been in the parish
- for 12 months before that day, they have lived in the parish or within 4.8km (3 miles) of the parish boundary
APC has also published more information here: https://www.ashpcsurrey.gov.uk/notice-of-vacancy-on-ash-parish-council
What happens when a vacancy opens on a Parish Council?
- the parish council will notify the proper officer of the vacancy
- the proper officer will send the parish council a notice to tell residents about the vacancy
- the parish council have a duty to display the notice for 14 working days
The Notice by the proper officer reads reads
PARISH OF ASH
ASH VALE WARD
NOTICE OF VACANCY IN OFFICE OF PARISH COUNCILLOR
Notice is hereby given pursuant to rule 5 of The Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) (England & Wales) Rules 2006, that consequent upon the resignation of Cllr Helen Gorham, a casual vacancy exists in the Office of Councillor for the Ash Vale Ward of the said Parish.
No election can be held as a result of the six-month rule. The next scheduled elections for this Parish will be held on Thursday 4 May 2023. The vacancy may be filled by the Parish Council by co-option and the co-opted member will complete the remaining term in office.
Dated: 30 November 2022